1 Thus says the Lord; Behold, I will raise up against Babylon, and against
those who dwell in Lev-Kamay, a destroying wind;
2. And will send to Babylon winnowers, who shall winnow her, and shall empty her land; for
in the day of trouble they shall be against her.
3. Against him who bends let the archer bend his bow, and against him who lifts himself up
in his coat of mail; and do not spare her young men; destroy utterly all her army.
4. Thus the slain shall fall in the land of the Chaldeans, and those who are thrust
through in her streets.
5. For Israel has not been widowed, nor Judah of his God, of the Lord of hosts; though
their land was filled with sin against the Holy One of Israel.
6. Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and let every man save his soul; be not cut off in
her iniquity; for this is the time of the vengeance of the Lord; he will render to her a
7. Babylon has been a golden cup in the Lords hand, that made all the earth drunk;
the nations have drunk of her wine; therefore the nations are mad.
8. Babylon is suddenly fallen and destroyed; howl for her; take balm for her pain, perhaps
she may be healed.
9. We would have healed Babylon, but she is not healed; forsake her, and let us go every
one to his own country; for her judgment reaches to heaven, and is lifted up to the skies.
10. The Lord has brought forth our vindication; come, and let us declare in Zion the work
of the Lord our God.
11. Sharpen the arrows; gather the shields; the Lord has raised up the spirit of the kings
of the Medes; for his plan is against Babylon, to destroy it; because it is the vengeance
of the Lord, the vengeance of his temple.
12. Set up a banner upon the walls of Babylon, make the watch strong, set up the watchmen,
prepare the ambushes; for the Lord has both devised and done that which he spoke against
the inhabitants of Babylon.
13. (K) O you who dwell upon many waters, abundant in treasures, your end has come, and
the measure of your greed.
14. The Lord of hosts has sworn by himself, saying, Surely I will fill you with men, as
with locusts; and they shall raise a shout against you.
15. He has made the earth by his power, he has established the world by his wisdom, and
has stretched out the heaven by his understanding.
16. When he utters his voice, there is a tumult of waters in the heavens; and he raises
vapors from the ends of the earth; he makes lightnings with rain, and brings forth the
wind out of his storehouses.
17. Every man becomes stupid without knowledge; every goldsmith is put to shame by the
carved idol; for his molten image is falsehood, and there is no breath in them.
18. They are vanity, the work of delusion; in the time of their punishment they shall
19. The portion of Jacob is not like them; for he is the former of all things; and Israel
is the rod of his inheritance; the Lord of hosts is his name.
20. You are hammer ax and weapons of war; for with you I will break in pieces the nations,
and with you I will destroy kingdoms;
21. And with you I will break in pieces the horse and his rider; and with you I will break
in pieces the chariot and his rider;
22. With you also I will break in pieces man and woman; and with you I will break in
pieces old and young; and with you I will break in pieces the young man and the maid;
23. I will also break in pieces with you the shepherd and his flock; and with you I will
break in pieces the farmer and his yoke of oxen; and with you I will break in pieces
governors and commanders.
24. And I will pay back to Babylon and to all the inhabitants of Chaldea all their evil
that they have done in Zion in your sight, says the Lord.
25. Behold, I am against you, O destroying mountain, says the Lord, which destroys all the
earth; and I will stretch out my hand upon you, and roll you down from the rocks, and will
make you a burnt mountain.
26. And they shall not take of you a stone for a corner, nor a stone for foundations; but
you shall be desolate for ever, says the Lord.
27. Set up a banner in the land, blow the shofar among the nations, prepare the nations
against her, call together against her the kingdoms of Ararat, Minni, and Ashkenaz;
appoint a captain against her; cause the horses to come up like bristling locusts.
28. Prepare nations for war against her, the kings of the Medes, its governors and
deputies, and every land under their dominion.
29. And the land shall tremble and writhe in pain; for every purpose of the Lord shall be
performed against Babylon, to make the land of Babylon a desolation without an inhabitant.
30. The mighty men of Babylon have ceased to fight, they have remained in their
fortresses; their might has failed; they became as women; they have burned her dwelling
places; her bars are broken.
31. One runner shall run to meet another, and one messenger to meet another, to show the
king of Babylon that his city is taken on every side.
32. And that the fords are seized, and the bulwarks are burned with fire, and the men of
war are in panic.
33. For thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; The daughter of Babylon is like a
threshing floor, it is time to thresh her; yet a little while, and the time of her harvest
34. (K) Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon has devoured me, he has crushed me, he has made
me an empty vessel, he has swallowed me up like a crocodile, he has filled his belly with
my delicacies, he has scoured me clean.
35. The violence done to me and to my flesh shall be upon Babylon, the inhabitant of Zion
shall say; and my blood upon the inhabitants of Chaldea, Jerusalem shall say.
36. Therefore thus says the Lord; Behold, I will plead your cause, and take vengeance for
you; and I will dry up her sea, and make her springs dry.
37. And Babylon shall become heaps, a dwelling place for jackals, an astonishment, and a
hissing, without an inhabitant.
38. They shall roar together like lions; they shall growl as lions cubs.
39. When they are heated I will make their feasts, and I will make them drunk, that they
may rejoice, and sleep an everlasting sleep, and not awake, said the Lord.
40. I will bring them down like lambs to the slaughter, like rams with male goats.
41. How is Sheshach taken! And how is the praise of the whole earth surprised! How is
Babylon become an astonishment among the nations!
42. The sea has come up upon Babylon; she is covered with the multitude of its waves.
43. Her cities are a desolation, a dry land, and a wilderness, a land where no man dwells,
nor does any son of man pass by.
44. And I will punish Bel in Babylon, and I will bring out of his mouth that which he has
swallowed up; and the nations shall not flow together any more to him; the very wall of
Babylon shall fall.
45. My people, go out of the midst of her, and save every man his soul from the fierce
anger of the Lord.
46. And lest your heart faint, and you fear for the rumor that shall be heard in the land;
a rumor shall both come one year, and after that in another year shall come a rumor, and
there will be violence in the land, ruler against ruler.
47. Therefore, behold, the days come, that I will do judgment upon the carved idols of
Babylon; and her whole land shall be put to shame, and all her slain shall fall in the
midst of her.
48. Then the heaven and the earth, and all that is in there, shall sing for Babylon; for
the destroyers shall come to her from the north, said the Lord.
49. As Babylon has caused the slain of Israel to fall, so at Babylon shall fall the slain
of all the earth.
50. You who have escaped the sword, go away, do not stand still; remember the Lord from
far away, and let Jerusalem come to your mind.
51. We are ashamed, because we have heard reproach; shame has covered our faces; for
strangers have come into the sanctuaries of the Lords house.
52. Therefore, behold, the days come, says the Lord, when I will do judgment upon her
carved idols; and through all her land the wounded shall groan.
53. Though Babylon should mount up to heaven, and though she should fortify the height of
her strength, yet from me shall destroyers come to her, says the Lord.
54. A sound of a cry comes from Babylon, and great destruction from the land of the
55. Because the Lord has ruined Babylon, and stilled her mighty voice; their waves roar
like great waters, the noise of their voice is raised.
56. Because the destroyer has come upon her, upon Babylon, and her mighty men are taken,
every one of their bows is broken; for the Lord God of recompenses shall surely pay back.
57. And I will make drunk her princes, and her wise men, her governors, and her
commanders, and her mighty men; and they shall sleep an everlasting sleep, and not wake,
said the King, whose name is the Lord of hosts.
58. Thus says the Lord of hosts; The broad walls of Babylon shall be utterly broken, and
her high gates shall be burned with fire; and the people shall labor in vain, and the
nations for the fire, and they shall be weary.
59. The word which Jeremiah the prophet commanded Seraiah the son of Neriah, the son of
Maaseiah, when he went with Zedekiah the king of Judah to Babylon in the fourth year of
his reign. And this Seraiah was the quartermaster.
60. So Jeremiah wrote in a book all the evil that should come upon Babylon, all these
words that are written against Babylon.
61. And Jeremiah said to Seraiah, When you come to Babylon, and shall see, and shall read
all these words;
62. Then shall you say, O Lord, you have spoken against this place, to cut it off, that
none shall remain in it, neither man nor beast, but that it shall be desolate for ever.
63. And it shall be, when you have finished reading this book, that you shall bind a stone
to it, and cast it into the midst of Euphrates;
64. And you shall say, Thus shall Babylon sink, and shall not rise from the evil that I
will bring upon her; and they shall be weary. Thus far are the words of Jeremiah.