1. The vision of Obadiah. Thus says the Lord
God concerning Edom; We have heard tidings from the Lord, and an ambassador has been sent
among the nations, Arise! Let us rise up against her in battle!
2. Behold, I will make you small among the nations; you shall be greatly despised.
3. The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who dwell in the clefts of the rock,
whose habitation is high; who said in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?
4. Though you soar aloft like the eagle, and though you set your nest among the stars,
from there will I bring you down, says the Lord.
5. If thieves came to you, if robbers by night, how are you cut off!, would they not have
stolen till they had enough? If the grape gatherers came to you, would they not leave some
6. How Esau has been pillaged! His hidden things sought out!
7. All the men of your confederacy have driven you to the border; the men who were at
peace with you have deceived you, and prevailed against you; those who eat your bread have
laid a trap under you; there is no understanding of it.
8. Shall I not in that day, says the Lord, destroy the wise men out of Edom, and
understanding out of the Mount of Esau?
9. And your mighty men, O Teman, shall be dismayed, so that every man from Mount of Esau
may be cut off by slaughter.
10. For your violence against your brother Jacob, shame shall cover you, and you shall be
cut off for ever.
11. On the day that you stood aloof, on the day that strangers carried away his wealth,
and foreigners entered his gates, and cast lots upon Jerusalem, you were like one of them.
12. But you should not have looked in the day of your brother, in the day of his
misfortune; nor should you have rejoiced over the people of Judah in the day of their
destruction; nor should you have spoken proudly in the day of distress.
13. You should not have entered the gate of my people in the day of their calamity; nor
should you have been among those who looked on their affliction in the day of their
calamity, nor have laid hands on their substance in the day of their calamity;
14. Nor should you have stood in the crossway, to cut off those of his who escaped; nor
should you have delivered up those of his who remained in the day of distress.
15. For the day of the Lord is near upon all the nations. As you have done, it shall be
done to you; your reward shall return upon your own head.
16. For as you have drunk upon my holy mountain, so shall all the nations drink
continually; indeed, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as
though they had not been.
17. But upon Mount Zion shall be deliverance, and there shall be holiness; and the house
of Jacob shall possess their own possessions.
18. And the house of Jacob shall be a fire, and the house of Joseph a flame, and the house
of Esau stubble, and they shall burn them and consume them; and none shall remain of the
house of Esau; for the Lord has spoken it.
19. And they of the Negev shall possess the Mount of Esau; and they of the Shephelah the
land of the Philistines; and they shall possess the field of Ephraim, and the field of
Samaria; and Benjamin shall possess Gilead.
20. And this exiled host of the people of Israel, who are among the Canaanites, as far as
Zarephath; and the exiles of Jerusalem, who are in Sepharad, shall possess the cities of
21. And saviors shall ascend Mount Zion to judge the Mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall
be the Lords
RETURN TO REVELATION CHAPTER 14 NOTES